Kindergarten CCSS madness? Buckle up Robin!

My recent post of first grade vocabulary from the New York State Education Department’s EngageNY website created a tremendous discussion. Is Common Core curriculum produced by Core Knowledge© age appropriate? Is this a symptom of the Common Core in general? Does the Common Core address the cognitive development of primary aged students? Once again the voices of real educators appear to be left out when it comes to the education reform and the Common Core.

I believe in challenging my middle school students and want the same for my own kids, but do the supporters of the Common Core consider the diverse group of children that enter our classrooms? Will the content and delivery of the Common Core destroy the love of learning and school for a generation of students? Will the Common Core’s ties to high-stakes testing dictate what occurs in schools?

I have looked a few of the Kindergarten modules that Core Knowledge© put together for New York’s schools. My children are about to enter third and fifth grade so I have some experience in primary education from a parental view. But as a veteran middle school educator, I need the input from those who are experts in early childhood development. As many ChalkFace readers did with the first grade World Civilization piece I wrote, please provide your thoughts on these Common Core units.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is a portion of the module on The Five Senses. This module according to the curriculum map from Core Knowledge and NYSED is to be completed in the fall of the school year as the second unit. As this point in the school year there are children who will be turning age five.

To me the Five Senses is an age appropriate topic for kindergarteners,but some of the vocabulary is a concern.

Kindergarten-5 senses vocab

From NYSED EngageNY Core Knowledge Module The Five Senses p15

Here is a unit for later in the school year on Colonial Times. Some difficult concepts and vocabulary here. Kindergarteners are still learning the world around them, not sure if the historical concepts will be over their heads.

Kindergarten- Colonial vocab.

From NYSED EngageNY Core Knowledge Module Colonial Towns and Townspeople p17

Stay tuned, the Caped Crusaders will be on the lookout for more Common Core villains whose evil schemes are harming our schools. Thank you for any helpful comments.

Follow Chris Cerrone on twitter: @stoptesting15

Comments

1. I have enjoyed reading all the comments from teachers and parents alike. I am really sensing a joining of minds here, and it’s high time this happened! I taught K for 18 years and had to step away from the sad, fear-filled, developmentally INappropriate curriculum and insane testing I was being forced to do. I wrote a book about my experiences and the silencing of teachers’ voices all across America. This is a very scary time. I didn’t get on here and post just to promote my book … but if you’re interested, you can find out more at http://www.IWillNOTResign.tateauthor.com. Thanks – keep speaking up!!! Lori (AZ)

2. John Young says:

Reblogged this on Transparent Christina.

3. Recently, my two children attended a school who used the Core Knowledge curriculum. They both experienced kg and first grades. they had been in traditional public school so I had that experience as well to compare. My children were bored in traditional public school while using their curriculum. With Core Knowledge, they thrived! I was amazed at what they were learning and what they would actually retain thru the summer. While on vacation, we visited Washing DC and Virginia. We visited caves, nature centers, museums and monuments. At each stop, they were engaged and knew so much about the things we were stopping to learn about. Naturalists and park staff were amazed and often praised my children on their knowledge of these places and the things we were visiting. They might not have known the exact definition of the harder vocabulary words, but they were able to explain them in their own words. I LOVED Core Knowledge and wish their new school offered it. Once again, it’s a traditional school and they are bored….I do not support Common Core, as I think the federal government should stay out of state decisions. However, I do think traditional curriculum is watered down for our children and if we expect more, they will rise to meet those expectations!

• Hi, Jill. Do you live in NYS? I don’t believe your students experienced the same core knowledge curriculum that New York State’s modules entail if they had this curriculum last year. Many of the modules were just released within the last months. Visit engageny.org for more on the curriculum. I agree that many of the vocabulary words can be described by young students, however the materials we are forced to use to teach the words are boring. My kinder kids are so frustrated with the amount of worksheets and quite frankly so am I!

• Jill, what you are describing is not how Common Core is being implemented at any school around here. I think maybe the negative experience could be with a teacher as much as what you are calling “traditional” education vs. Core knowledge. I have four kids in public school, and some years are better than others as far as their interest level and teacher engagement. I take my kids to all the places you listed as well, and they are just as engaged and interested, and they are just now getting the CC crap. So I don’t know that that is the factor in why your kids were bored or not. I don’t know the specifics, so I can’t say one way or another. As for how Core Knowledge is being used in our schools, I can tell you that our teachers are being forced into worksheet after worksheet after worksheet. In fact, they are amazed at how many worksheets are expected for one unit. I don’t want to misquote the number per unit, but it was unreal. So they are supplementing withe their years of experience.

4. dbpigtail says:

Reblogged this on The Plain Satisfactions and commented:
    Common Core for Kindergarten in particular gets my goat as I have a 5 year old who should be starting K this fall. In NYS however, education is not compulsory until age 6 / 1st grade so we’re opting out of kindergarten. Will my son have his ‘Core Knowledge’ to be ready for first grade? Perhaps not, but he’ll have something better–his childhood! He’ll play and discover. He’ll be curious and creative. He’ll be a good human being, a caring and loving individual. We’re not sacrificing anything by keeping him home.

5. In addition to being developmentally inappropriate, the grouping of the words in lessons 7 and 8 of the senses topic virtually guarantees the advancement of harmful stereotypes. By placing “blind” and “deaf” with such negative words as “disease” and “frustrated,” CCSS–rather blatantly–teaches students that people with these disabilities have “issues.” Then, they simultaneously lump in the words “remarkable” and “opportunity,” advancing the idea that all people with disabilities are either sad sacs or inspirations.

• The reason blind, deaf, disease, frustrated, remarkable, and opportunity are together is because the story the goes with the lesson is on Helen Keller. The grouping of vocabulary in no ways represents disabilities in a negative way. In fact, it actually teaches students about how strong and “remarkable” Helen Keller was to do the things she was able to do!

6. As a retired K – 2 music teacher, I believe that it’s important for young children to hear and move to as many varieties of music as possible, instrumental, choral/vocal, including classical, even opera! However, do I think that young children should be able to sing arias or play in an orchestra? Of course not! Young children should hear unfamiliar words, should be stretched beyond See Spot Run. However in music, we make a distinction between music for listening or moving and music for singing and performing. There is music that is developmentally appropriate for performing–vocal range, able to be performed in tune or in time, physically able to be played by young children. Some kids, a few, will be able to perform at a higher level; some at a lower level. All will progress, some faster than others. Most will have mastered kindergarten repertoire before heading into first grade. Some may have mastery over second grade repertoire.

Is the vocabulary proposed by Common Core Knowledge to hard for young children? It depends on how it is to be used. If it is to be heard, giving students a chance to hear “juicy words,” much like they might see and listen to “Peter and the Wolf,” then drop these words, pepper your conversations with them. If one expects a young child to appropriate and use all those words in speaking, reading, and writing, well that would be comparable to expecting a young child to play the horn, clarinet, oboe, etc. to tell the orchestral story of “Peter and the Wolf.”

7. Gail Richmond says:

I’m tweeting this to NYSCOSS. Asking when they’ll start speaking up for children.

8. Disbelief.
    What ever happened to finding the letter people, bringing newborn kittens into show-and-tell, and learning through play? When will we stop trying to create testing machines instead of normal human beings?

9. Madame DeFarge says:

Ha Ha. This past year I had 23 double service ESL students in my class, along with 2 single service students. Many of my students arrived in NY in the summer of 2012. For anyone not in the loop there is a segment of the immigrant population that sends kids out of the country or keeps them out of the country until they are eligible for kindergarten. So these little cuties not only have culture shock to cope with, they have absolutely NO English under their belts.

The Five senses lessons group has about 11 words that I perceive as vaguely modelable to an imprecise grasp of meaning. For example, sight can be demonstrated but can also be interpreted to mean “see”.

Colonial Times? Completely out of the ballpark! I don’t think that words such as apprentice, downcast, or garments are high on the list of beginning stages of English Language Acquisition.
    Sent from my iPad=

10. Education that is done to children by governments (instead of BY children with teachers) does not work and is detrimental the natural learning process. I find it truly amazing that someone can have a PhD in education and know next to nothing about child development and neuropsychology. Yet, these are the folks who are designing the Common Core! Before industrialized education swept America to feed the corporations with workers who would do what they were told and who had very specific skill sets (by the way which happened not to be curiosity, leadership, empathy) education was very different. It was personalized and had elements of choice of work based on interest, mixed age classrooms where children learn in a wide and diverse group that reflects the real world and it was of course ALWAYS self paced.
    Common Core is a disaster in the making. Our government not only has no right to set an agenda for curriculum (yes they will argue the states pulled this together, yet they use federal funds to entice states to sign up, thereby over stepping their authorized power) but they have never done it well in the first place. Our children are not products to be shaped and molded into the image and likeness of future employees/workers for the benefit of corporations. Our children are individuals who, according to the Declaration of Independence, have the right to pursue happiness…in other words the right to pursue their unique interests. In doing so, they will acquire the skills and knowledge to invent their own jobs and to challenge the corporate status quo. But most importantly they will be educated and will be able to defend against the usurping of power that tends to happen when corporations and governments get together.

11. Lisa, I have yet to hear of any teacher having input on the development of CCSS. Nor have I seen any scientific research on its validity. I do know, as a 25 year veteran of the classroom, I am required to report child abuse. Call this crap what you want, but do not call it teaching or learning.

12. This discussion is making the rounds – look at the skill strands for the actual “reading, spelling and writing” stuff. I get it. I have looked at it, and honestly those strands don’t seem quite as inappropriate as this listening strand stuff. There are a TON of assumptions to be made even with the skills strands: 1. All children will attend PreK or even Kindergarten. (it’s not mandatory in NY)
    2. All children will enter school knowing what letters are and that they represent written and spoken words.
    3. All children will need to “learn” the same things at the same time. (This is SO not true as my 25+years in first grade tells me)
    4. Workbooks of over 150 pages for the skills strands are an appropriate way for students to “learn” and for teachers to “teach.”
    When it comes to the listening strands and domains – as it has been pointed out – these vocabulary words are expected to be learned and understood through the use of read alouds and picture cards. When you look at sheer amount of PAPER that the Core Knowledge Curriculum as it is presented on engageny – it is overwhelming.
    Then, let’s take into account the amount of money that will be spent on workbooks, workbooks, workbooks with canned stories like “The Cat Bandit” because that story has all the CVC words a student will need to read.
    WHY, for the love of everything that is appropriate for young children, aren’t we using REAL trade books with the same kinds of words? Where is Dr. Seuss? Where are the picture books? Where is the FUN??

13. Another quote:
    “Ignorance and power and pride are a deadly mixture, you know.”
    ― Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

14. Here are some quotes from a book that was written 25 years ago:-) Maybe this book should be sent to some folks in Albany.

“Think what a better world it would be if we all-the whole world-had cookies and milk about three o’clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankies for a nap. Or if all governments had as a basic policy to always put things back where they found them and to clean up their own mess.
    And it is still true, no matter how old you are-when you go out into the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.”
    ― Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

“These are the things I learned (in Kindergarten):

1. Share everything.
    2. Play fair.
    3. Don’t hit people.
    4. Put thngs back where you found them.
    5. CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
    6. Don’t take things that aren’t yours.
    7. Say you’re SORRY when you HURT somebody.
    8. Wash your hands before you eat.
    9. Flush.
    10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
    11. Live a balanced life – learn some and drink some and draw some and paint some and sing and dance and play and work everyday some.
    12. Take a nap every afternoon.
    13. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
    14. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Stryrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
    15. Goldfish and hamster and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup – they all die. So do we.
    16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first workd you learned – the biggest word of all – LOOK.”
    ― Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

15. Just letting you know about a *very* active blog from Utah, from a group fighting hard against ccss adoption and implementation. Political focus leans righter than mine – but is it ok to fight against something for different reasons? Here you go: http://whatiscommoncore.wordpress.com/

16. notafan says:

I am too heated to respond to this right now! Short answer………the CCSS are ludicrous and should be abolished!

17. Please note that the vocabulary listed above is embedded in teacher read-alouds in which the teachers pause as needed to discuss vocabulary and concepts. Each topic is taught for 2 to 3 weeks; the read-alouds grow more sophisticated and the vocabulary is naturally repeated in the texts over that time. Also, while there is writing in the program, the questions you highlighted are discussion questions. If these domain-based studies expected mastery of all the concepts and vocabulary, then there would be cause for concern. But these teacher read-alouds are designed to build a foundation of for future studies. If you would like to see what the students are reading and writing, please see the Skills strand: http://www.coreknowledge.org/ckla. The materials you have been highlighting are from the Listening & Learning strand. In addition, readers may be interested in the research on how vocabulary develops. E. D. Hirsch published an essay summarizing that research earlier this year–it explains why Core Knowledge Language Arts emphasizes exposing students to broad vocabulary (and does not emphasize drilling students with traditional vocabulary lists–the list above is a guide to help the teacher prepare for class discussions, not a list for students to study):

• It is all nice, in theory. But force this on a gifted kindergartner who has NO interest in this or an averagenor struggling student whomhas no interest in this, and all you breed is discouragement. My allopathic med school daughter would have hated this, while she loved math, science, writing, phys ed., music, literature, and recess. She only liked history when it pertained to women’s rights and equal rights for minorities. Not sure she would have cared about “spindles” or “breeches” unless they pertained to American Girls’ books or Colonial Williamsburg. This is the best we have for ELA curriculum? What happened to Amelia Bedelia, Little House on the Prarie, and Dr, Seuss?

• Lisa Hansel – What are your credentials? Do you have a degree in early childhood education?? Do you teach?? If so, where??

• I trust Nancy Carlsson-Paige, a career educator, over someone whose salary depends on producing Common Core materials.

• E. D. Hirsch had an interesting exchange with Nancy Carlsson-Paige about the Common Core earlier this year: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/01/31/a-common-core-standards-defense/

• The units created by Core Knowledge for History inclusion in ELA do not add up to “broad knowledge.” If you look at the random nature of skipping from World Culture to US History in different eras and topics is troubling to me. Elementary schools are already neglecting Social Studies and Science. If the only time for these forgotten subjects in ELA time than we are lost.

Students need connections and sequence. The way the domains are set up do not connect. For example: The War of 1812 is thrown into 2nd grade. Previous units of study in 3rd grade should include the pre-Revolutionary period through the Early Republic for students to understand the importance of the War of 1812. The module domains do not address the previous knowledge needed to appreciate the topic.

• In response to Chris’s comment about the prior knowledge needed for the War of 1812, please see the full set of domains–the information you’re seeking is presented in prior grades: http://bit.ly/18NdJxT

• Learning about the “New Nation” in 1st grade will not effectively transfer to 2nd grade for the War of 1812. Too much time between learning and not enough connections in 2nd grade. 2nd grade goes from Early Asian, Ancient Greek, then War of 1812? I can tell you from 18+ years of teaching history that makes no sense. History is full of cause/effect/connections. I teach US History up to the Reconstruction era in the 1870’s. Would I start the year with the Civil War then jump to Colonial America, maybe throw in Pre-Columbian Native Americans at the end? Of course not.

• I am the director of communications for the Core Knowledge Foundation. Prior to joining the Foundation earlier this year, I was the editor of American Educator, the quarterly journal of educational research and ideas published by the American Federation of Teachers. I often published articles by E. D. Hirsch, Jr., and Daniel T. Willingham that explained why reading comprehension, critical thinking, and problem solving depend on relevant prior knowledge—and why, as a result, all students need a rigorous, coherent, grade-by-grade curriculum that builds broad knowledge. I have a B.S. in Psychology from Washington and Lee University and an Ed.D. in Education Policy from George Washington University, where I was also an adjunct professor.

• So…that’s a no. Ergo, you have no business helping develop materials for early childhood educators. Sincerely, an early childhood educator.

• While I think materials should be developed by a range of teachers, researchers, cognitive scientists, content-area experts, etc., I have not been involved in developing Core Knowledge Language Arts. I’m just trying to give readers a better understanding of the full program. Many current and former teachers have been involved in the development. Please, let these teachers speak for me: http://www.coreknowledge.org/ckla-in-action.

• So…that would be a no.

• Rebecca Burdett says:

It’s clear that you have a B.S. degree, but do you have any credentials in early childhood education? Have you taught young children? Do you understand the term “developmentally appropriate”? Are you aware of the incontrovertible research on how young children learn? Of course, relevant prior knowledge is essential to learning, and believe it or not, 4 and 5 year olds come to school with a great deal of prior knowledge and we, as their teachers, need to build on what they have already. Young children are rich and complex in their understanding of the world around them. They are natural scientists, poets, artists, architects, mathematicians, linguists and storytellers. They are not the first step in anyone’s staircase to “cultural literacy”. They are not empty vessels, ready to be filled with one theorist’s concept of what “all young children” need to know. They are already FULL. Give us time to teach them, give us resources to design our own relevant curricula, reduce our class sizes so that we can give each child the time and attention he or she deserves and we will have true educational reform.

• I think part of my issue is the concept of developing materials like this garbage for teachers to use with students. If the literature (whether fictional or informational) one uses during a read-aloud is thoughtfully and purposefully selected, and is a rich enough text, the conversation that results– between an experienced educator and his/her students–should be enough. The ONLY reason to ask students to answer questions “in complete sentences” is to train them to test well.

• Margaret Benson says:

As NAEYC, the leading professional organization for preschool and early childhood teachers has stated unequivocally that the Common Core standards for Kindergarten and the early grades are developmentally inappropriate, I have to conclude that none of them were involved in developing the standards. I also get the distinct impression that the who are advocating for the Common Core don’t really know what “developmentally appropriate” means, and therefore cannot possibly say whether the CC supports developmentally appropriate practice. People in ECE have been struggling for years to get parents and our paraprofessional classroom staff to understand this concept, and in many states it is finally catching on, and suddenly WHAM a bunch of know-nothings produce a set of standards which will lead to more poor quality classrooms in preschools, day care centers, Head Start programs and pre-kindergartens. This is disgusting.

• Lisa, you need to come down out of your ivory tower and face reality. I am an adjunct English professor at a community college, and I have four children ranging in ages 5 to 12. I can tell you that this JUNK is wholly inappropriate for kindergarten. I find that most people who seem to be telling teachers how to teach either could not or cannot cut it in the classroom. Why don’t you take your so-called wonder-curriculum to the average public school, and you see how well you connect with the kids. I teach college-age, and I have taught high school in the past, and I know better than to try and tell elementary education teachers how to teach. I know that I would not last a day in their classrooms, and I am forever grateful that they have the skills and gifts to do it.

You cannot teach higher order thinking until there is a knowledge base for it. I understand “rote” learning is not stylish, but it works. It gives kids a basis to learn higher order thinking skills when developmentally appropriate.

Secondly, go spend a month in a kindergarten classroom, and you will quickly see that these kids are not developmentally ready for what CC promotes. You are setting kids up for failure, when it truly isn’t failure. Developmentally they are not ready for this level of “thinking.” We are trying to force 5 year-olds to be little adults. It breaks my heart! Two of my closest friends have taught kindergarten for years. Both chose to move different grades this year rather than try to waste their time teaching the CC which they know to be inappropriate. And they are not in the minority.

My mom has taught for 29 years, and is one of the top teachers in our school system. She was so frustrated with the CC training this summer that she will be retiring as soon as she can. She has been around long enough to know what works and what doesn’t. She gets frustrated for the new teachers who are being handed this new curriculum who don’t know that it is setting them up for failure. They don’t have the experience to know what works and what to try and what to leave behind. Yet, we continue to wonder why new teachers fail and leave the profession?! And now the experienced teachers are all running for retirement even though they still love the kids and love teaching.

• Besides the developmentally inappropriate vocabulary the entire Core Knowledge curriculum is nothing more than a destructive platform that seeks to promote white European dominance. Please recognize that what some believe to be “Core Knowledge” others would see as oppressive propaganda.

• Oy. Sounds like you had your ass handed to you a little bit here. Trust me, you don’t cross educators when it comes to their craft.

• dbpigtail says:

So now it’s my turn. I was too mad to respond right away and I’m glad I waited to hear so many dedicated educators weigh in on this madness. I’m not an educator, but I am a parent… a parent of a 5 year old that is supposed to be exposed to this developmentally inappropriate garbage this fall in kindergarten. You can keep touting your core knowledge but you’ll do it without my son. He’ll be opting out of kindergarten as it isn’t required in NYS. Your developmentally inappropriate expectations already took his love of learning away in PreK, and I will not allow you to destroy even more of his childhood. I don’t give a rat’s ass if he doesn’t have his core knowledge for first grade. He will learn those skills when he’s ready and we’ll cover those topics when he’s interested. I’m sick and tired of those developing the Common Core not doing so with the expert advice of teachers who actually teach those grades and work with those children. I’m sick and tired of those developing the Common Core dealing with children as if they are some number. You always think you know better than teachers and parents. It’s insulting. You can’t force this knowledge down the throats of kindergartners and first graders. Honestly, if my son is too busy building with legos and exercising his creative abilities, I’m not going to stop him so that he can learn about Christopher Columbus. By the way, CC was a rapist and a thief… how will you work that into your core knowledge? Come to think of it, there are those letters again… CC. I call it Comply and Conform. And I’m sorry my children won’t be doing any of that. FYI: my son is incredibly articulate. His vocabulary is amazing. He gets this because we engage in engaging normal conversations every day. We read a lot. We talk about his interests. But not every child will have this home life upon which to build, and the makers of the CC use education reform as a festering band-aid to cover up society’s real problems. My son will learn; he’ll be incredible. We don’t need you ruining the experience. Get out while you can because I guarantee you there will be an uprising. Teachers and parents will bear it no longer. My in-laws are visiting from the Netherlands as I type. I explained the Common Core to them this morning; I explained the modules and the testing that our kids have to endure. They didn’t believe me, thought I was making it up, that I was exaggerating. I wish it was just a story, a bad joke. But we’re living it. You need to know, however, that parents like me are waking up every day, and once they learn how their children’s educational experiences are being ruined, there will be an uprising.

• Margaret Benson says:

There is a Lisa Hansel who is the Communications Director of the Core Knowledge Foundation. Sounds like this Lisa, and no, she would not have a degree in early childhood education, or child development, and I would doubt that she has any preschool or elementary teaching experience.

• Rosemarie says:

Lisa…have you been around any five year olds? Do you know what their developmental level of understanding abstract concepts are? Have you spoken to any? So basically your credentials tell me …NO. They are five.Try saying any of these words to your average five year old when you meet one. They will look at you like you have two heads and then tell you about the boo boo on their knee.They are interested in themselves, their toys, their families, their pets. These words and concepts are NOT even remotely appropriate for kindergarten children. Kindergarten is SUPPOSED to be where children learn how to navigate socially in a classroom, learn letters, numbers, writing, cutting, and hearing APPROPRIATE stories. They are into Dr. Seuss, Eric Carle, Mem Foxx, Maurice Sendak and picture books with concrete concepts like animals. They do not even remotely connect to abstract concepts like colonial times! Are you kidding me? That’s why k was always about who are the people in your neighborhood, you know, things they can ACTUALLY connect to…I just can’t beleive adults would foist this garbage on young children who will be frustrated by this. Heck, 6th graders still have difficulty with world history as it is SO abstract and not relatable to their present lives.As an actual Master Degreed teacher in Early Childhood education, I can only call this abuse of young children and malpractice if I am forced to teach this.You and all your CC pushers should crawl back into the Ivory Tower you came from and leave the teaching to the professionals.

• Dee Rathey says:

Lisa you really need to join the real world if you think for 2 seconds this is the way to teach Kindergarten. Take a vacation when the school year starts say a month or two. Go volunteer in a kindergarten class room then see how well your assumptions fit the well being of OUR children.

Trackbacks

1. […] Here is a graphic from a July Network Team Institute training meeting. The history and science topics contained in the ELA domain units displayed show what the presenter hopes will create “connections” within and across grade levels. I would guess these folks are trying to show how the Core Knowledge curriculum will create “broad knowledge” by building on previous learning. […]

2. […] Kindergarten CCSS madness? Buckle up Robin! (atthechalkface.com) […]

3. […] via Kindergarten CCSS madness? Buckle up Robin! – SCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CHALK FACE. […]

4. […] PART II of my look at the Common Core modules : Kindergarten CCSS madness? Buckle up Robin! […]