Holy Mesopotamia Batman: First Grade CCSS vocabulary.

I have been giving the New York State Education Department’s new Common Core curriculum modules a study over the last few weeks. I see these modules as an insulting scripted curriculum that favors test preparation skills over learning.  I teach middle school social studies so new reforms such as the Common Core have not had much of a direct impact on my classroom yet, but as a parent the Common Core and its related high-stakes testing machine has my full attention.

I came across this First Grade curriculum module on Early World Civilizations that I have found troubling.  I have my doubts about the historical content of this ELA module. I am putting together a piece I hope to finish soon on the random nature of the history topics contained in the NYSED modules so I will pass on analyzing if the social studies content is appropriate for six year olds for now.

So primary grade educators:  I need your help:

What do you think of the vocabulary contained in this unit of study?

Screen shot 2013-07-29 at 7.15.41 PM

Click to enlarge.
From Core Knowledge Language Arts- New York Edition “Early Civilizations- Tell it Again Read-Aloud Anthology

PART II of my look at the Common Core modules : Kindergarten CCSS madness? Buckle up Robin!

Follow Chris Cerrone on twitter: @stoptesting15

About these ads

Comments

1. Jeremy Greene says:

I see nothing wrong here. It would not be my first choice for a first grade unit for history, but if students have history every day they should be able to pick up this vocabulary and the ideas behind them.

Since children this age should be picking up about 10 words a day on average – these words are as good as most and better than others. I know my 4 year old should be able to do this in two years.

2. Janine Bolton says:

Is this all they learn for the year?

• Janine Bolton says:

* one year. Wow..I remember just studying one area a year. Or maybe it just seemed that way…Also, do you do a lesson a week? That’s only 1 weeks. What do you do the other weeks of school?

• Jeremy Greene says:

I think they also do fables and legends. So the above would be a half year. This is an assumption of mine.

• 1stgraderatheart says:

No. This in only 1 module. We also do the human body, astronomy, fables & folk tales and Early American Civilizations (Maya, Inca and Aztec). I am not opposed to teaching beyond said first grade level BUT I do think that this is a bit abstract for them considering how ego-centric this age is. I just feel we should start in our own backyard and teach them out nation’s history (right down to LOCAL history) before we expand into a world that is far beyond their realm of understanding.

• 1stgraderatheart says:

AND, during this ancient civilizations unit, we also teach then about Islam, Judaism and the beginnings of Christianity. REALLY??? My humble opinion is that this is not necessary for SIX year olds.

• Frustratedinny says:

This is just one unit for the first graders. It has about 14 lessons in it.

3. Okay, so I have spent some time reviewing the Core Knowledge website and previewing the scope and sequence charts as well as sample lessons. My background might be helpful in understanding my perspective. I have been an educator in a variety of capacities for the past 20+ years. During my season as a homeschooling teacher, I investigated innumerable teaching philosophies and curricula. When all was said and done, I concluded that the philosophy and pedagogy of classical education offered the strongest and most comprehensive education available while accounting for individual student needs. Classical education recognizes the developmental stages of a child and orients lesson appropriately. A strong emphasis is placed on teaching the structure and functional application of the English language so that students become strong independent readers as an early age. History, science, and literature are taught chronologically in historical context in a three to four year cycle that is repeated several times before a child graduates from high school. Each time through the cycle, students reading more complex texts and engage with the content at a more in-depth level of critical thinking. The use of whole books and read-a-louds above a child’s independent reading level help a child to develop a level of cultural literacy and vocabulary beyond what a child can acquire through independent reading. The design of classical education, which has been successfully used to educate children for a couple thousand years, including some of the greatest minds in history has been verified by the modern studies that Mr. Hirsch cites in his introduction to the curriculum. I would disagree with the sequence in which some of the domains are taught and would favor less domains that last longer, but that is personal preference. The vocabulary lists presented are not meant for recall and mastery as with traditional vocabulary lists, but rather for introduction, familiarity and development. A child’s speaking vocabulary must be expanded or developed in order for their reading level and comprehension to develop. That happens when children are engaged in learning about a wide variety of topics and stories from history. My personal experience in teaching my own children and having taught in a classical school for the past 7 years provides personal confirmation of the success of this model of education. It does provide the kind of strong foundation and rigor that students need in order to become well educated, well informed, independently critical thinking adults.
    As I have been reviewing numerous lesson plans and curricula aligned with Common Core, one positive distinction I see with Core Knowledge is that it does not appear to present an anti-Western perspective and does not overwhelming promote a socialistic, global society bias.
    As for the connection to Common Core, here is my take. Since public schools must choose curricula that are aligned with Common Core, Core Knowledge is demonstrating how their curricula will allow schools to meet the standards and still offer students the solid education that had been offered in this country prior to the twentieth century. If you review Mr. Hirsch’s approach to that of Lucy Calkins’ approach, you will see a vast difference in philosophy and pedagogy, yet both claim to be aligned with Common Core. If local principals and teachers are allowed to choose which type of curricula meets their needs and still meet the standards, then there is hope. The concern I still have is the reduction of classic literature to only 30% in high school. After working diligently to establish a strong reading comprehension base in the elementary and middle school, students are now ready to delve into the complex literature of the ages and actually understand the vocabulary and historical references. Unfortunately the standards want to exchange the richness of such literature for modern informational texts and reading historical documents out of historical context, which seems to undermine the foundation that would have been laid.
    Thanks for considering the perspective of another educator.

4. Pat Matera says:

I have always thought that my God given gift as a teacher was to be able to explain big ideas to small people. I worked primarily with pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders. I felt I really had a knack for getting them “hooked” on a new educational quest and really turn them on to learning.
    This garbage is just a hodge-podge of politically correct ideas that they are attempting to indoctrinate our children with…starting at first grade so they really haven’t got any background to question what they are being taught.
    The vocabulary is well above age level and not likely to have a great deal of everyday relevance to young children. Believe it or not, folks, there was a reason we taught the children about the “helpers” in our neighborhood; i.e. merchants, doctors, police, etc. and why local history was focused upon in 1st grade….before we can get to where we are going, we need to know where we came from. My heart breaks for the abuse these children will suffer while the grown-ups play money games about their futures!

5. I’ve written a blog on this subject. . . “What is developmentally appropriate?” http://bit.ly/17tjQEi

6. Hi Chris, Would you, or someone from Chalkface, like to testify at the INdiana Legislative Study Committee on Common Core? It is a chance to shape policy and make a difference. My email is eob72@yahoo.com. Thanks, Erin Tuttle

7. Laura LeGrand says:

We have dumbed down over the past 100 years. We’ve seen the results. If you never challenge a mind, it can’t be expected to grow.

• “Failing schools myth”. When comparing Apples to Apples America’s students are as good or better than the rest of the world. Reasons for any problems in education: 1. Poverty. 2. Test-based accountability measures which have narrowed the focus of education to ELA/math scores. Common Core is apart of this madness.

• Jeremy Greene says:

Chris apples to apples comparisons are inappropriate when over 25% of our kids are in poverty.
        Since I do not see any immediate change in this – these kids must be compared to the bottom 25% of all incomes in other countries, to be fair. And when that is done we are not doing too well.

• Michael Paul Goldenberg says:

So you have some facts we can look at? Or just more rhetoric? Are you claiming that our impoverished kids in Detroit are performing worse in school that Indian “slum dogs” in Mumbai and New Delhi? If so, I’d guess that the slums there never even had lead-based paint. But my real guess is that you’re just blowing more smoke out of your butt.

• Jeremy Greene says:

Not particularly India. But our bottom 25% economically are not doing as well as the bottom 25% in Scandinavia, continental Europe, South Korea, Singapore. Simply put, because most of their bottom 25% are not in poverty.

Furthermore our students of European origin are #2 among European countries, our Africans, Hispanics and Asians are #1 compared to those places of origin. All well and good, but they are all Americans…

8. Lisa Hansel is wrong. She has a vested interest in this “program.” The pilot she speaks of showed little evidence that a nonfiction curriculum enhances reading skills. It was based on a “brief” test-as Stephen Krashen points out. And on actual standardized tests there was no difference between the two study groups for vocabulary or oral reading comprehension. The differences between the study groups were minimal in grade 3. Hundreds of studies do show that when kids become readers early on- through self-selected reading and are given plenty of time to read (make it a habit) they do just fine in school. Also remember our goal is to create book loving citizens – not test takers.

9. what about working at the child’s rate of neurological development? these concepts can’t just be stuffed into their brains.

10. Laraine Valentine says:

OMG! First grade? Seriously? After 34 years of teaching 3rd graders, I can honestly say, gifted children, maybe. If any of my students in rural NY had taken this list home to study, their parents would have been on the phone with me in a heartbeat! Why is my child having to learn ” cuneiform “? What does it mean, anyway? Being an anthropology buff, I know. But what about reasoning and logic and a general overview so that students can pick what they’re most interested in? Can we please have corporate America go back to what they do best, and let us do what we do best?

• Idaho Becky says:

Exactly.

• Jeremy Greene says:

I think first graders should be able to handle this. I actually can’t think of any pre-K kid I know who I would think can’t handle this in two years.

• Michael Paul Goldenberg says:

Jeremy: That claim speaks volumes about what pre-K kids you know.

• Jeremy Greene says:

Teacher: Okay. Now, everyone take out your safety pencil and a circle of
          paper. This week, I hope we can finish our work on the letter
          “A”.
          Bart: Let me get this straight. We’re behind the rest of our class
          and we’re going to catch up to them by going slower than they
          are? [making "crazy" gesture] Cuckoo.
          Kids: [imitating him] Cuckoo. Cuckoo. Cuckoo. Cuckoo.

• Michael Paul Goldenberg says:

Your “retort” doesn’t exactly raise your credibility.

• Jeremy Greene says:

Sorry for injecting a little appropriate humor.

Based on your expectations, certain first graders would fall behind.
              I would bet that this would then happen in second grade as well and continue.

So the point stands: expecting less and covering less in the first grade is no way to catch up kids that might be behind.

• Michael Paul Goldenberg says:

I don’t have expectations. I have knowledge of developmental psychology coupled with 40 years’ experience as an educator. I COULD come to schools with “higher expectations,” but I try not to let people whose knowledge of education can be reduced to a bumper sticker dictate my work.

In case it never occurred to you, every child is an individual. I put no upper bounds on what I am willing to give students access to. But I’m reasonably confident that I won’t need to keep 25 calculus textbooks stocked in elementary classrooms or 25 copies of FINNEGAN’S WAKE, no matter how many cliches are uttered by “humorists” who appear to know as much about teaching and learning as they do about what comprises humor.

• Jeremy Greene says:

Michael, it is safe to say that longest running sit-com in history will count for humor, now and in the future whether or not you or I think it is funny. (And I think the post above is funny, namely because it is logical.)

Daniel Willingham uses his wife’s experience and the practices of Montessori to make the claim that this curriculum is not beyond typical first graders: http://bit.ly/17tjQEi I would add that the folks at Universal Design for Learning and the Center for Assistive Technology have not found the CCS inappropriate developmentally (This is not to say that they would not find the linked curriculum inappropriate, perhaps they would).

11. I am an educator and I fully understand concerns over Common Core Curriculum. However, after having been trained in it, I think it is the way to go. The problem we face is that a teacher can’t do Common Core AND Standards Based Education and accountability at the same time. If we do Common Core we need to go back to teaching deeper critical thinking and cause and effect. That’s what teacher’s excel at. Teaching rote and teaching to tests, that’s what’s been killing education.

12. Maybe the “ruling class”(Gods, as they may call themselves) needs drones (serfs, slaves,etc)to be able to build them a 21st century ziggurat. From the pictures I’ve seen of a ziggurat, if the masses finally wake up, those “Gods” may need a “stairway to heaven”.

13. This is just one “domain” of 10 in first grade? And 16 lessons that cover the following points? All taught in one month? Who are they kidding? Why Mesopotamia and then Egypt, and then Judiasm, Christianity, and Islam? That is so unnecessary. Here are the items 6 yr olds (I have one) are to be able to explain. My 9 yr old said, “no way!”
    By the end of this domain, students will be able to:

Locate the area known as Mesopotamia on a world map or globe and identify it as part of Asia;
    Explain the importance of the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers and the use of canals to support farming and the development of the city of Babylon;
    Describe the city of Babylon and the Hanging Gardens;
    Identify cuneiform as the system of writing used in Mesopotamia;
    Explain why a written language is important to the development of a civilization;
    Explain the significance of the Code of Hammurabi;
    Explain why rules and laws are important to the development of a civilization;
    Explain the ways in which a leader is important to the development of a civilization;
    Explain the significance of gods/goddesses, ziggurats, temples, and priests in Mesopotamia;
    Describe key components of a civilization;
    Identify Mesopotamia as the “Cradle of Civilization”;
    Describe how a civilization evolves and changes over time;
    Locate Egypt on a world map or globe and identify it as a part of Africa;
    Explain the importance of the Nile River and how its floods were important for farming;
    Identify hieroglyphics as the system of writing used in ancient Egypt;
    Explain the significance of gods/goddesses in ancient Egypt;
    Identify pyramids and explain their significance in ancient Egypt;
    Describe how the pyramids were built;
    Explain that much of Egypt is in the Sahara Desert;
    Identify the Sphinx and explain its significance in ancient Egypt;
    Identify Hatshepsut as a pharaoh of ancient Egypt and explain her significance as pharaoh;
    Identify Tutankhamun as a pharaoh of ancient Egypt and explain his significance;
    Explain that much of what we know about ancient Egypt is because of the work of archaeologists;
    Identify Judaism, Christianity, and Islam as major monotheistic world religions;
    Locate Jerusalem, Israel, and the area known as the Middle East on a map;
    Define monotheism as the belief in one God;
    Identify the Western Wall (or the Wailing Wall) as associated with Judaism, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre with Christianity, and the Dome of the Rock with Islam;
    Identify the Hebrews as the ancient people who were descendants of Abraham;
    Explain that followers of Judaism are called Jewish people and the term Jewish is used to describe practices or objects associated with Judaism;
    Identify the Star of David as a six-pointed star and a symbol of Judaism;
    Identify the Torah as an important part of the Hebrew scriptures;
    Identify that a Jewish house of worship is called a synagogue or temple;
    Identify Moses as a teacher who long ago led the Jewish people out of Egypt in an event referred to as the Exodus;
    Explain that, according to an important story in the Torah, Moses received the Ten Commandments from God and that the Ten Commandments are rules that tell people how to behave or live their lives;
    Identify important Jewish holidays such as Passover, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and Hanukkah;
    Explain that Christianity developed after Judaism;
    Explain that followers of Christianity are called Christians;
    Recognize the cross as a symbol of Christianity;
    Identify the Bible as the Christian holy book;
    Identify that a Christian house of worship is called a church;
    Identify that Christians believe Jesus to be the Messiah and the son of God;
    Identify important Christian holidays, such as Easter and Christmas;
    Recognize that both Christians and Jewish people follow the Ten Commandments;
    Explain that Islam originated in Arabia;
    Explain that followers of Islam are called Muslims;
    Identify the crescent and star as symbols of Islam;
    Identify the Qur’an as the holy book of Islam, containing laws for daily living and many stories that appear in Jewish and Christian holy books;
    Identify that a Muslim place of worship is called a mosque;
    Identify that Muslims believe that Moses and Jesus were prophets but believe that Muhammad was the last and greatest of the prophets;
    Identify important Muslim holidays, such as Ramadan and Eid-ul-fitr;
    Use narrative language to describe (orally or in writing) characters, setting, things, events, actions, a scene, or facts from a fiction read-aloud;
    Identify who is telling the story at various points in a fiction read-aloud;
    Ask and answer questions (e.g., who, what, where, when), orally or in writing, requiring literal recall and understanding of the details and/or facts of a nonfiction/informational read-aloud;
    Answer questions that require making interpretations, judgments, or giving opinions about what is heard in a nonfiction/informational read-aloud, including answering why questions that require recognizing cause/effect relationships;
    Identify the main topic and retell key details of a nonfiction/informational read-aloud;
    Describe the connection between two individuals, events, ideas, or pieces of information in a nonfiction/informational read-aloud;
    Ask and answer questions about unknown words and phrases in nonfiction/informational read-alouds and discussions;
    Use illustrations and details in a nonfiction/informational read-aloud to describe its key ideas;
    Compare and contrast (orally or in writing) similarities and differences within a single nonfiction/informational read-aloud or between two or more nonfiction/informational read-alouds;
    Listen to and demonstrate understanding of nonfiction/informational read-alouds of appropriate complexity for grades 1–3;
    With guidance and support from adults, focus on a topic, respond to questions and suggestions from peers, and add details to strengthen writing as needed;
    Make personal connections (orally or in writing) to events or experiences in a fiction or nonfiction/informational read-aloud, and/or make connections among several read-alouds;
    With assistance, categorize and organize facts and information within a given domain to answer questions;
    Use agreed-upon rules for group discussion (e.g., look at and listen to the speaker, raise hand to speak, take turns, say “excuse me” or “please,” etc.);
    Carry on and participate in a conversation over at least six turns, staying on topic, initiating comments or responding to a partner’s comments, with either an adult or another child of the same age;
    Ask questions to clarify information about the topic in a fiction or nonfiction/informational read-aloud;
    Ask and answer questions (e.g., who, what, where, when), orally or in writing, requiring literal recall and understanding of the details and/or facts of a fiction or nonfiction/informational read-aloud;
    Ask questions to clarify directions, exercises, classroom routines, and/or what a speaker says about a topic;
    Describe people, places, things, and events with relevant details, expressing ideas and feelings clearly;
    Add drawing or other visual displays to oral or written descriptions when appropriate to clarify ideas, thoughts, and feelings;
    Produce complete sentences when appropriate to task and situation;
    Identify real-life connections between words and their use (e.g., note places at home that are cozy);
    Learn the meaning of common sayings and phrases;
    Use words and phrases acquired through conversations, reading and being read to, and responding to texts, including using frequently occurring conjunctions to signal simple relationships (e.g., because)
    Identify new meanings for familiar words and apply them accurately;
    Prior to listening to an informational read-aloud, identify what they know about a given topic;
    Share writing with others;
    With assistance, create and interpret timelines and lifelines related to an informational read-aloud;
    Demonstrate understanding of literary language such as setting;
    While listening to an informational read-aloud, orally predict what will happen next in the read-aloud based on the text heard thus far, and then compare the actual outcome to the prediction; and
    Use personal pronouns orally.

• And of course the content ones will turn into test items to teach to. The last one about personal pronouns is stunningly stupid. Lucy Calkins was eliminated as a NY “vendor” and replaced with this swill.

• Jeremy Greene says:

I love Lucy Calkins, but the research is pretty clear that Core Knowledge – or content knowledge is the way to go. The more students know the more things they can do with that knowledge. This has been the case in all the research. Check out the Core Knowledge blog and E.D. Hirsch.

FWIW, twenty years ago I thought E.D. Hirsch was a bit off, but study after study proves him right.

• This is just ridiculous. My first grade daughter, who is reasonably intelligent, asked if we were leaving the country when we went to Florida. I don’t think she could have said Mesopotamia. I wish we could force the so-called experts making these requirement to go into ANY classroom (even the most privileged ones) and see what happens. This is a ridiculous waste of time and money. Now, going into third grade, she has yet to take a field trip, but they have money for this junk.

• …and I am quite sure you explained to your daughter that you were not leaving the country and then talked to her about the fact that there are different states all of which are part of our country. If you really read this curriculum, you’ll see that it provides all children, in school, the opportunities to think and learn and have their curiosity satisfied that your daughter is lucky enough to have provided by you. Quickly and in bite sized pieces, and then more detail filled in over time as they are ready for more.

• Michael Paul Goldenberg says:

So, Judy, never mind that the lesson has a large percentage of words that are not only unfamiliar but unreadable, unpronounceable, impossible to figure out because they’re derived from languages that aren’t central to English at any time in history and the impact that might well have on a lot of children. Just roll with it. Never mind that there’s no research evidence to support the use of the Common Core. Just roll with it. It must be good, because Pearson, McGraw-Hill, the ETS, David Coleman, Arne Duncan, Bill Gates, ad nauseam, tell us that it’s good. Don’t question, accept.

Lots of luck with that sales pitch.

• As I have read this thread, many seem to be confusing Core Knowledge with Common Core State Standards. The Core Knowledge site demonstrates that their curriculum is aligned with Common Core, but if you compare contrast their curriculum with the many others that are being promoted by writers of the Common Core, you will see distinct differences. One of those differences is the exposure to the whole of history from its beginnings to the present so that children have a framework within which to understand and respond to our present age. Such a scope and sequence helps children to understand that we didn’t arrive in the 21st century in a vacuum. Children do not need to be gifted or advanced to learn about times and places far away or to understand that mankind is pretty much the same around the world and throughout history. That is why we can enjoy fairy tales and myths and legends from many ages and cultures. The history domain units simply provide children with exposure to the people and places that gave us those wonderful stories. As for strange and difficult pronunciations, if children can master the names of modern Pokemon characters and various place names in video games, they can learn the names of real places around the globe. As for developmentally appropriate, a study of American education would reveal that children prior to the 20th century were educated in the manner presented by Mr. Hirsch. It was not until John Dewey and the fundamental shift to training teachers in a trade school that education changed in America. Unfortunately, those changes have brought about the slow decline in what students are capable of learning. Families that have chosen the classical school model used before the 20th century continue to affirm Mr. Hirsch’s assertions that cultural literacy is critical to education. Those families educate a wide variety of learners from diverse backgrounds.
            The other thing to note is that Core Knowledge is produced by a non-profit, not a major money making publisher and that they offer much of their materials for free.
            So, could I first encourage people to be distinct in not using Core Knowledge and Common Core State Standards as synonyms. Secondly, before dismissing this curriculum because it offers a distinct alternative to that which has been required recently, let’s applaud the opportunity for choice. What should be protested is the mandated choice of a curriculum by people other than local principals and teachers.

14. I don’t see anything wrong with this. Maybe if we gave kids more world knowledge, they would have a context and interest to read with. I think we’ve been robbing kids with this kind of attitude. This isn’t abstract, and shame on you if you don’t know what a ziggurat is. I’m tired of teaching reading to kids who are bored out of their mind because the adults in their lives have denied them access to information, simply because it might be “too hard” to understand.

• I wonder if you have experience teaching kindergarten and first grade? Most primary grade teachers will tell you that at this age, children do not yet have an understanding of historical context and there is no explicit teaching of this. In fact, the Common Core does not allow for the explicit teaching of these concepts due to the amount of time that must be spent pushing children to meet developmentally inappropriate ELA and Math standards. I am all for challenging students and exposing them to rich vocabulary, but the topics covered by these terms are also developmentally inappropriate. The ability to think abstractly is a developmental phase and shame on the educator who attempts to force feed children information that promotes frustration, boredom and disengagement. Because as any good teacher will tell you, this is often the result of teaching material that is above the student’s ability to conceptualize and lacks the appropriate scaffolding. In first grade students are still learning about community helpers and the differences between urban,rural and suburban environments.They are only just beginning to understand that their family may have traditions or religions that are different from their peers. Is this really the time to teach the meaning of messiah, Islam and Christianity? I am a parent of a child who is academically gifted and who would have welcomed such a curriculum in first grade. But I am also a teacher and recognize that children are not empty vessels subject to being filled with content chosen by adults in a vaccum, without regard for their interests or developmental stage.

• Social studies educators have spent decades developing good ways to teach history and geography, and this isn’t it. I could see reading a good picture book about the pyramids, but explication of theology? Some real confusion for kids at the “Jesus loves me” stage, let alone those of other religions or none. Plus it’s supposed to be ELA curriculum, and fails horribly at that. No one’s against informational learning.

• Margaret Benson says:

First graders certainly need interesting things to read about. But they need to read about things that they can relate to easily, and for preoperational children, this is what is easily seen, or visited. For most kids then, as someone commented below, we talk about the local neighborhood. We go on walks, kids draw pictures of the street they live on, and then turn them into birds-eye views, introducing them to maps (and technology must really help with that). When I was a kid I lived on East 82nd street, and from 4th grade on I walked west to Metropolitan Museum of Art on the weekends and prowled around. The Egyptian displays with sarcophagi and mummies were great favorites (and mummy does not seem to be on that vocabulary list). I think if you were teaching first grade where you had a museum like this to visit you might be able to grab kids interests. But in other places — most places — this would just not catch on, and it seems sad to turn kids off what will be fun subject when they are older.

• The level of abstract thinking required is nearly impossible for the majority of children in the age group. It would be better, I think, to use lessons about ancient world cultures to grab their interest in reading. This is where readers are created. You give them interesting stuff now, where they’re motivated to practice, and they’ll get better, move on to more difficult reading levels…and have the ability to use those higher order skills *later*, when their brains are physically developed to that point.

• sandra wilde says:

I think making pyramids at whatever age is fine, but this curriculum is ideologically committed to starting young with ancient civilizations and then moving on chronologically over the years. And of course trying to explore monotheism and the trinity with primary grades is wack! I heard that this particular content came from a Sunday school curriculum, very Christian centric.

• Any teacher “teaching reading” who says they have kids bored out of their minds should be fired. As Dick Allington points out- 60 minutes of each 90 minute block should see kids reading what they want. Kids who love reading from early on and are given the access and time to become book loving citizens rarely have problems in school/college.

• Have you tried talking to a child anytime? They are naturally curious, but developmentally quite concrete at that age. And there are no field trips! No time or money, even in my well-to-do suburb. It’s time to just let teachers do their jobs, and treat teachers as professionals.

15. Lesleigh says:

I teach Kindergarten in NYS and because our school district is a focus school we were told we have to adopt the modules. The ELA modules are going to be so hard to teach. For example, they are calling pilgrims ” separatists”! I don’t think it’s developmentally appropriate at all. It seems more like exposing and teaching to the test earlier on if you ask me….colonial times, kings and queens, native Americans, Columbus with king Ferdinand and Queen Isabella…..concepts I thought I’d never have to teach 4 and 5 year olds.

16. This is a fascinating conversation. I just have to ask everyone to take some time to learn more about Core Knowledge Language Arts. The finished program–which is far more supportive than the pilot version thanks to the productive feedback of more than 200 teachers–is just now being made available. The pilot in NYC showed it to be effective, not only in reading, but in increasing knowledge of science and social studies. In brief, the program has two strands: Skills and Listening and Learning. The vocabulary shown above is from the Listening and Learning strand. The teacher does a series of read-alouds and class discussions, and the goal is for students to become familiar with the words. They start using many of them, but the goal is to build a foundation for later studies. Please invest some time in learning more–the following website has the research foundation, pilot results, videos from schools using the program, reactions from teachers, and lots of samples. Soon, the whole program will be available for free: http://www.coreknowledge.org/ckla.

• Michael Paul Goldenberg says:

Gosh, that almost sounds like the reasoning used to justify spiraling in math by the very curricula (Everyday Math, Investigations in Number, Data, and Space, et al.) decried by. . . E. D Hirsch, the head honcho over at Core Knowledge, and his supporters at reactionary and conservative educational groups like Mathematically Correct and NYC-HOLD. Those are groups, by the way, that by and large decry “whole language,” and go to great lengths to misrepresent it both in theory and in practice, as they do those math programs.

Coincidence? Hypocrisy? Self-serving, ignorant, greedy, dim-wittery? Oh, yes. All that and more.
      And people are raising issues of developmental appropriateness? PLEASE! The Core Knowledge Foundation knows all, sees all. They don’t need no steenkin’ developmental psychology, learnin’ psychology, or input from teachers. If E. D. Hirsch and Company says this is wonderful stuff, perfect for YOUR kid, how DARE any of us question his eternal wisdom?

• Sonja Luchini says:

If CCSS were not tied into a mandated iBloom database “cloud” controlled by Bill Gates and Rupert Murdock, then I wouldn’t be so concerned. As it’s looking now, 3rd parties may be able to access personal, private information regarding children and families. There is no “opt out” of testing a student with disabilities “off line”. There are many schools who must use precious little educational funding to create the tech network to support this behemoth of a program when we’ve laid off teachers, librarians, nurses and classroom aides. We are being “forced” to spend education funds on new tech and the curriculum that goes with it when we are so lacking in the many areas of need that really make a difference for children on a daily basis. Our priorities are so screwed up.

If a child is starving, how will s/he test? This article was in yesterday’s LA Times about families who cannot let their children participate in enrichment daycare options if they can’t afford diapers. Lack of diapers will have a direct effect on the educational development of many children of poverty. Lack of diapers…*sigh*

Until we address the serious community needs of these children, CCSS will only be used as an excuse to collect data to close the urban poor schools, hand the property over to the developers who finance “school reform” so they can plow down the neighborhoods. If any of these reformers truly cared about our education system and our children, they’d pay their fair share of taxes and not hide their profits in the Caymans or Swiss Banks. Give me a break!

• I looked at the pilot study results, and they seemed very weak to me. The gains seemed small, and perhaps explainable by the Hawthorne Effect (google it). Shocking to me that NY would make such a big vendor decision based on this. Also, don’t know if the pilot study was peer-reviewed and published anywhere.

• Thanks for looking at the pilot. It was a small study done by the NYCDOE, but it did indicate that CKLA is more effective than what was bring done in the other schools. The research foundation for CKLA is much stronger than the pilot: Decades of cognitive science show that language comprehension depends chiefly on broad knowledge and vocabulary. Research also shows that vocabulary development happens up to four times faster when children are immersed in domain-based studies. That’s why the Listening & Learning strand of the program has domain-based units with teacher read-alouds and class discussions. Mastery of all of the sophisticated content is not the goal. The purpose is to start building students’ knowledge and vocabulary. Appendix A of the Common Core ELA & Literacy standards offers an excellent summary of the research on language development: http://www.corestandards.org/assets/Appendix_A.pdf. The Core Knowledge Language Arts program rests on this same research foundation. Significant time has to be invested to really understand the program: http://www.coreknowledge.org/ckla. Teachers might find the FAQ section of the CKLA website especially useful: http://www.coreknowledge.org/faq-ckla

• Does not matter how good the CCSS might be. It’s implementation and potential benefits will be ruined by the high stakes objective measurements that are being foisted upon educators. I would recommend that the critical thought and other higher order features of CCSS, at least as supporters claim, be assessed in ways far beyond the paltry selective response measures drafted by PARCC and SBAC.

• Any “teacher” teaching reading who has kids “bored out of their mind” should be fired. As Dick Allington points out- 60 minutes of each 90 minute block should have kids reading whatever they want. If kids are bored -it is not their fault.

17. Sonja Luchini says:

My son is diagnosed with high-functioning autism. When he was four and first being assessed by the school district for IEP services, at one point he was lying on the floor on his stomach, pushing a little car back and forth, hyper-focusing on the wheels (visual acuity is common with many on the spectrum and that was a perseverative trait he had back then). We also had the complete collection of the Discovery Channel “Ancient Civilizations” series which he found fascinating. He also has instant photo recall and would repeat full phrases of tv shows or book passages as he was learning how to communicate with echolalic tendencies.

Well, he’s pushing this little car back and forth then says: “Mesopotamia…today we call it “Eye-wack” (Iraq – he also needed speech therapy). The assessor exclaimed; “My what a LOT of language he has!” I replied; “Yup, but it’s inappropriate to his situation….typical children do NOT talk about Mesopotamia when playing with Hot Wheels…”

CCSS does not take into account kids like mine. Students with disabilities learn at different rates, sometimes much slower than would be expected from the “standards” foisted upon school districts. And remind me why they’re called “state” and not “national” standards when states have no choice in the matter? My son was also driven to clinical depression in our neighborhood charter school (no other local options – the town became a charter “cluster” when the law first passed). There are no exceptions for a student who would “shut down” who needs serious intervention as my son did. We ended up in a great little nonpublic school, but it took a full year for him to learn how to sit and attend in class after being “taught” to kick, hit, bite, scream and throw things in order to get people to help him. The charter personnel ignored specialists assigned through his IEP who came on campus to assist him and help. One teacher said; I didn’t go to school to do THIS!” – meaning teach those pesky special needs students. They only wanted the “easy” ones.

I just had to tell my story about Mesopotamia. Just because a student can say the word, doesn’t mean s/he knows what it means or can use it properly in context.

• Michael Paul Goldenberg says:

It doesn’t take in kids like ANYONE’S. One size fits all, like it or lump it. :)

18. I’m laughing because the “curriculum” itself comes straight out of 80 year old PEA (Progressive Education Association) project method. No one bench-marked, data-pointed, drilled or created sight word vocabulary tests from these efforts! But you should have seen what was constructed across the entire floor of a classroom, a very sophisticated excavation come to life. Of course these words were used and elaborated upon because this is what one talks about when she is reconstructing an entire early civilization. These common core corporate zombies are not original but they are perverting a tradition of work with children which was historically undertaken in the spirit of inquiry, investigation and intelligent democracy.

• Kathy, if only we could actual have progressive era schools again, then list like this would not be in a curriculum, but generation from the experience. But, then again as you stated, it is corrupted by Common Core policies and tested, which don’t correlate with this type of learning. Sadly, even John Dewey’s school, Chicago Lab School and another private Chicago school named for Francis Parker are not even following the tenants of Progressive Education.

19. Megan Krajewski says:

I think it only fair to give you my background before I reply. My degrees are in education and I taught Head Start, K, & 3rd before deciding to homeschool my own children. I am totally against common core, vast standardized testing, and the burden laid at the feet of the teachers because of these absurd institutions. That being said, I have a son who is preparing to enter 1st grade this year and while we studied about communities in K, he was attentively listening while his older brother (Middle School) review ancient history. My 6 year old has been enthralled since pre-school with ancient societies (particularly Egypt), and will, if given the opportunity, talk your ear off about ancient Egypt and his favorite god, Anubis. He has learned how to begin relating these concepts to his life through our conversations, Venn diagrams, and numerous hands on activities. Our idea in teaching him these concepts, however, is not for him to gain mastery of them at such a young age, but to familiarize him with these concepts and ignite in him a passion to learn more.. We study history in a 4 year cycle. When he studies ancient history again in 4 years, he will be at the logic stage of learning and better able to make connections and reason about his learning. I cannot imagine a Kindergarten classroom being responsible for mastery of such material. The thought is absurd. Familiarization? yes. Mastery? no.

20. Were the Egyptians favorite food Mac & cheese?;-)

21. schoolgal says:

I just went through the Engage site and found proof that test scores will be lower. They posted a video that clearly states test scores will be lower!!! So what does that mean for students? Should they be penalized on one high-stakes tests? And what about teachers whose jobs are tied to these scores?? I hope someone saves this video because I expect it to be used in court if VAM comes into play and teachers lose their jobs.

• The “scores will be lower” is a constant theme of NYSED. Ironically, they also repeat the mantra that “we need to get over thinking that being rated ‘developing’ as a teacher is a ‘normal’ thing.” But wait, in NYC, ineffective in the growth score means ineffective overall. This is exactly why we need to save this link. With material like the first grade vocabulary list, it’s pretty clear where this is heading, and it has nothing to do with putting students first.

• schoolgal says:

Not with a NYS eval plan that was approved by NYSUT. People don’t realize that it’s only 40% the first year. After 2 years, it become the only factor for firing.

22. Lesson 3 had me running to M-W online. What does ziggurat mean? Oh now I get it, Holy Mesopotamia!

23. My daughter, who just finished first grade here in Oklahoma, would have been thrilled to be given a list of such interesting words. She was bored by much of first grade. But even by the end of the school year, she would not have been able to understand the abstract concepts. However, she’s not exactly the average student in her class. The kids at the other extreme would have been totally lost. It’d be nice if early grades did have interesting lesson material that could be read at different levels. I’m not convinced that when kids are learning to read they can’t also read to learn.

24. CelesteM says:

I’ve taught 1st grade and 3rd grade. I’ve been a reading teacher K-5. I feel these words can be used, but not really mastered by all children in 1st grade. When differentiating instruction, I use a wide array of vocabulary. I can see exposing children to such words, but expecting every child them to master their meaning would be a ridiculous expectation. There may (I mean may) be 1 or 2 out of every class who may actually store them in their “bank of words”, but that’s about it.
    Exposing children each year and building upon their knowledge makes sense. I can see using these words for such a concept, but not for drilling purposes.

25. Margaret Dilgen says:

I was an Early Childhood teacher for over 33 years. In all my education and experience I have never seen such inappropriate vocabulary for young children. My last few years of teaching many of my colleagues and myself read and implemented Debbie Miller’s “Reading for Meaning.” One of her big topics was schema or background knowledge. What 6 year old has schema for these words and just what Social Studies topic is this for? We taught about families and how they are the same and different. Where are the Early Childhood teachers in this? Where is Piaget in this?

• That’s the problem Katie – No ECE professionals were consulted when developing Common Core. It’s completely not DAP for our age band!

26. Very problematic. As an ESL teacher, I feel as if each vocabulary term listed above represents a brick weighing me down even more. My school piloted Core Knowledge but it didn’t work well in K-2. We have a large ELL population and kids with limited early childhood education.

27. Kindergarten is not a ‘requirement’ in my state, Michigan. Not sure how a student who enters formal schooling for the first time in first grade, not reading, would be able to do anything else but fail when presented with this material.

xxalainaxx

28. This is for first grade? Really? Not only is the vocabulary beyond a first grade level. It is filled with a list of words with no patterns, to many silent letters, plurals, and past tense, all in one list. On top of that, the meanings of these word are not developmentally appropriate for first grade. Messiah, afterlife, prophet and shrine are a few examples from the list that definitions are abstract and hard to explain without the ability to read and research. The list of the religions made me laugh, when I was teaching second graders would ask each other are you Christmas or Hanukah? I worked in a school with no muslims, but I’m sure Ramadan would be added as well. Lastly, and probably most important, when looking a vocabulary list you get an idea of the unit and what will be studied. This list spans the chronicles of time from ziggurats to mosques. That is thousands of years in the history of the world. Most first graders are still living in a concrete world and even thinking about last week is a difficult concept. If I was looking at this list without any idea the purpose, I would guess it was a unit, semester or year review depending if it was for sixth, seventh or eight grade. This is what happens when educators are not allowed to make any decisions about curriculum.

29. Our oldest is just entering Kindergarten…and this 1st Gr. list has me shaking in my boots….

30. Debbie Henderson says:

As a retired First Grade teacher for most of my 34 years of teaching I have one question…
    Have these people ever met 6 year olds?????

31. The goal of Common Core and high-stakes testing is to ensure that our students are college and career ready. One problem is that the foundation is being completely wiped out. Learning specialists have long known that learning must begin with basic concepts that the student can link to their own experiences. From those initial first concepts, new learning is linked, and so on. Without that firm foundation, the whole building crumbles. That is what I believe is happening to our students. Their thinking skills are crumbling because all of the foundation has been eliminated by “raising the bar.” A first grader cannot understand how an ancient Egyptian society worked if he has not first been taught to analyze factors within his/her own community. Similarly, students won’t grasp complicated algebraic equations if they have not experimented with concepts of equality, inequality, and balance (such as building block towers). They will not be able to analyze cause and effect if they have not had foundational experiences such as mixing paint colors. Before they can solve complex problems of any sort they must develop and build upon experiences with hands-on problem solving such as solving puzzles, navigating friendships, designing posters, making music, and shooting baskets. By wiping these experiences out of the curriculum, or minimizing them by focusing instruction on close reads and the staircase of complexity, we are destroying the very foundation on which future success must be built.

32. LitProfSuz says:

Chris,

Any chance this was based on the Core Knowledge Foundation’s curriculum? I noticed that the topics seem to be similar.

The teachers I worked with who used the Core Knowledge thought that the content of early civilizations were interesting to their students, but they didn’t use standardized tests to measure “mastery”. Much of the work was visual and hands on. They argue that the current typical curriculum of “Neighborhoods” and “Community” is too dumb-downed. Since I’ve never taught in the primary grades, I don’t really know. What do you think?

I would agree that the stories are interesting, the cultures colorful, and the potential hands on projects fun (ie – building ziggurats and pyramids), but to what extent will 6 year old children understand the concepts of the intersection of geography, culture, time and change? This is the approach I use with middle school. I guess I always return to why I teach humanities – to help children understand what it means to be human and live in a society, including looking at the tensions that are involved in trying to live together and how others have both successfully and unsuccessfully navigated those tensions. I wonder what the underlying purpose of this curriculum is?

• “I wonder what the underlying purpose of this curriculum is?” I wonder too? Is it that the creators of this content have no connection to primary education? Is the Common Core setting up schools, children, and teachers to fail?

NYSED used $12.9 million dollars of NY’s Race to the Top funds to bid out the creations of CC modules. The key questions are: Will schools feel compelled to use these modules in some form? Will the modules drive the curriculum because schools, admins and teachers are afraid not following the module scripts will lower their test scores, hence their evaluations?

The modules are canned, boring and dry- not worth $12.9 million. If NYSED wants kids to learn world cultures in 1st grade the hands on and visual methods you mention are great. The modules contain “Read alouds” repeated throughout the units: boring, age inappropriate and repetitive.

• Core Knowledge created the K-2 modules for NYS. The link in this piece will take you to the EngageNY site that hosts all the modules.

33. 1stgraderatheart says:

It is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo developmentally inappropriate. Children of this age need to feel connected to things and why are we teaching religious concepts in this module? Also inappropriate. BTW (and I am NOT supporting Commercial Core AT ALL but…..) this is part of the Listening portion, They are not expected to read or write it.

34. Margaret Benson says:

This is so developmentally inappropriate! The vocabulary words will be over the head of most of the children, and their ability to conceptualize the past, Egypt as a place — rather than just an idea — or to comprehend what an archeologist does, are practically nil.

35. Oh my! Those are the vocabulary terms for 6th grade and Global 9! Can 1st graders ever phonetically sound those terms out? Much less comprehend the abstract concepts associated with gods, sacrifices, temples, etc? Not to mention the hay day religious conservatives are going to have with the content. I catch hell regularly from HS parents for teaching world religions. Now they want it in primary grades? What next?

36. I taught first grade for about 25 years and am moving to second grade next year. I had ONE student in my 25 years in first grade that was totally fascinated by Egypt. SHE would have known some of these words and even known the definitions………..but that was because she LOVED it and her parents had provided her with many experiences outside of school (and even before she came to school) with ancient Egypt. It gets worse in second grade as one of the “domains” or “modules” is The War of 1812.
    This material was in no way developed by any NYS Early Childhood Educator. It is verbatim from the Core Knowledge Language Arts Curriculum by E.D. Hirsch. And, by the way, unlike the modules for grades 3 and up……..the only way to get this stuff is to BUY the workbooks and teacher guides and image cards and flip charts. Each read aloud anthology is over 200 pages and each workbook is about 150 pages – and in second grade there are over 10 “domains”, not to mention the SKILLS STRANDS which have their own workbooks and materials.
    Let the countdown to retirement begin………..5 more years, 5 more years, 5 more years…….that is my new mantra.

• AT60,
      My next look at the modules will involve the War of 1812 and how the history topics are randomly thrown into the curriculum. No connections made from unit to unit.

• My saving grace in all of this is that when I asked my Principal about the engageny modules and his expectation regarding them his answer was “We are NOT adopting the modules. You can try one out if you choose, but I am not convinced that the modules or the tests are the answer.” Yeah, I am lucky to work for one badass Principal!

• Karen Fraid says:

That lack of context and connections is the other issue that is so upsetting (the first being the developmentally inappropriate nature of the lessons). If the goal is to make kids “college and career ready,” having to unlearn bad lessons or lessons that were not understood will make that goal farther off than if we simply waited to introduce topics until students are old enough to process them. I have a 6 year old (my middle kid) and I spent 5 years creating curriculum (for all ages) for field trips and family workshops at a world class natural history museum with an amazing anthropology department. You can teach some of this material to 6 year olds, but not with vocab lists and read-alouds. This needs to involve the arts, field trips, hands-on activities, and a much smaller and simplified set of goals (and flexibility!).

• Martha Keeler says:

Absolutely right. The key is to involve the arts, field trips, hands-on activities and flexibility. A few read-alouds without those are a waste of time. It makes me wonder who were the people who developed this. Did they include experts from world class museums who actually have the facilities and expertise to bring this sort of thing alive? And what kinds of materials and time are available for this kind of instruction?

37. Rosemarie says:

Not even remotely appropriate for a 6 year old. Have these people been around 6 year olds? They don’t even have a concept of what history is given their’s is so short. They are in concrete operations…history is abstract. I just would love to meet the dbags that concocted this garbage.

• Margaret Benson says:

I’m pretty sure that not all first graders have made it to “concrete operations” yet. Many of them are still in the stage of preoperations, in which case this vocabulary, and probably the whole unit is even less appropriate.

• Maureen M. says:

The concepts that come from Piaget on developmental stages, Dewey on critical thinking and Gardner on multiple intelligences have all been kicked down the sewer. I noticed that all of these, which were being discussed, studied, presented and practiced in prof development days and faculty meetings just a few years ago have completely disappeared from the conversation. Humanistic education, which puts kids first and allows for learning styles and teaching styles, has been pre-empted by the “scientific” view…which is not scientific at all. Creating mandates based on absolutely no research and calling it scientific has led to this mess we are in.

38. 1stgraderatheart says:

I taught that this past year. They don’t have to read it, just know it. *sigh* It was terribly dry and not really appealing to SIX YEAR OLDS!!!!!

39. I teach HS history. Some of that vocabulary was part of the 9th grade Global History curriculum. Several of those words were introduced to students for the first time in their academic career at that point. I understanding moving it down a grade level or two, but eight?!

40. Deb Howard says:

Chris, I’ve taught first grade in the past. Quite honesty, if that list of words were simply placed in front of a first grader, you’d be *lucky* if a few of them could read about 3 of those words (my guess would be: “banks”, “flow”, and maybe “church”. Even hearing the words in context would be lost on any 6 year old. Developmentally, they are NOT ready to read or fully comprehend many of those words -even in context! In my professional opinion, this is educational abuse.

41. I think the privatization movement is jumping for joy thinking of all the schools that will be closing over low test scores. Also remember gentle readers that in Common Core providing students with background knowledge before they read is considered bad.

42. Judy Rabin says:

Keep digging Batman! There’s so much more to this curriculum, check out the section on stocks, getting them ready for when social security no longer exists and everyone manages his or her own 401k plan brought to you by Too Big to Fail Banks who also run the schools.
    Really, it’s in the NJ curriculum from Achieve 3000.
    And, the teachers who still have jobs are more than happy to abide, as long as that pay check and benefits keep coming. Just tell me what to do.

• Hey, read Michael Hudson’s translation of a speech Obama gave to a group of college kids in Illinois last week. Don’t remember where I found it, but easy enough to find. Obama, by touting a Private-Public partnership is laying the PR groundwork for “re-building our infrastructure” as the newest vision of privatization (being financialization through Wall Street debt leveraging). The authoritarian scripture being minted as we type. Next, the announcement about how Social Security needs to be privatized for the good of the people. There’s your 401k plan from the TBTF Banks. And there’s the fait ‘d acompli by the elitist ownership class.

I enjoyed your comment regarding Achieve 3000. It’s here in Hawaii. And there is little objection. If Badass Teachers were so bad, they’d be doing more than snarky protests leading nowhere while abiding and abetting the target of their wrath up to but not including any loss of pay and benefits.

• You have no idea, obviously, how hard we BadAss teachers are working to bring this crap down. But there has to be buy-in from parents and more of the public and that requires their understanding. Blogs like this are essential in that effort. While there are certainly many parents who will or can only sit back and watch, there will be enough who, when the time is right, support real educators when they plant their feet and refuse to be a part of this. At that point the false cries of fowl at the unions and the politicos who will be confronted will be silenced. It will be sweet and it will be grounded in truth and evidence. What good is it for teachers to sacrifice their jobs and desert their students because someone bullies them into believing it is the honorable thing to do. This of us with no job to risk will blow oxygen on the fire now and when the time is right these charlatans will have shown their true colors. Phew!

• I’m concerned about the compliance most teachers are exhibiting. I’m not against this blog or any other. When the time is right? Who are the charlatans? Whose true colors? (All the colors are out there to see). The jobless or the privatizers true colors? Politicos silenced? How? Aren’t parents public? Cries of fowl? Like violent peeping? There is something foul afoot in the NEA and AFT. If you were a student, then you’d likely have to do a major re-write here. Okay, this is your authentic voice and that should be considered? If you are a teacher, then you have earned an “F” for this obfuscating attempt at oratory essay. Hey, I know the feeling. After reading this, I, too, blew out a big exclamation: Bathetic

43. Are you serious? Grade 1?

44. Keep on keeping on. Some one must keep questioning NYSED. Someone must! Others are accepting or in denial. How will that work for y’all?

Trackbacks

1. […] starts with an New York education blogger at @TheChalkFace posting a 1st grade vocabulary list from the NY Common Core website—70 words from cuneiform to synagogue and all points in between. […]

2. […] that is meant to help teachers prepare for the Common Core State Standards. Author Chris Cerrone posted a bit of a 1st grade curriculum module on early civilizations. Here it […]

3. […] Holy Mesopotamia Batman: First Grade CCSS vocabulary. (atthechalkface.com) […]

4. […] Core, Inc., to write curriculum modules so that teachers don’t have to make lessons anymore.  They just have to follow the script if they want to get good scores out of their students and save their […]

5. […] recent post of first grade vocabulary from the New York State Education Department’s EngageNY website created a tremendous […]

6. […] Cerrone has a great post up including some examples of first-grade vocabulary from CCSS. Can it be argued as a good thing that first graders are now going to be taught the meaning of […]

7. […] via Holy Mesopotamia Batman: First Grade CCSS vocabulary. – SCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CHALK FACE. […]