Hot off our presses…
Click the box below to head over to Eventbrite. All the action you need for $20.
Over the past year, I have received three glossy mailouts telling me that I can “enroll my child in private school for free.” The last one included the message, “Time is running out!” and added, “Is your child stuck in a failing school? Send them to a private school for FREE.” Nothing is “for free.” […]
Let me begin. I am a white dude. I repeat: I am an average, everyday, Irish, white guy. Let me continue. When I earned my PhD in 2009, I wrote about the lack of men in education, internationally, and the various stereotypes that preclude their entrance into teaching, plus solutions to overcoming the diversity problem […]
Writing Is a Journey: Thoughts on Writing, College, and the SAT. via Writing Is a Journey: Thoughts on Writing, College, and the SAT.
American Hustle: Ignoring Poverty in U.S. Needs More than 50-Year Anniversary. via American Hustle: Ignoring Poverty in U.S. Needs More than 50-Year Anniversary.
Check out this article from Politico while I step outside to see if hell is frozen over. To wit: Weingarten said she didn’t believe Gates funding influenced the Innovation Fund’s direction, but still had to sever the relationship. “I got convinced by the level of distrust I was seeing — not simply on Twitter, but […]
Common Core: Why Money Trumps Evidence. via Common Core: Why Money Trumps Evidence.
One of the panel discussions in which I participated at the first annual Network for Public Education (NPE) conference was on investigative journalism. I chose to use my twelve minutes to only touch the surface on using IRS 990s (the tax forms for nonprofit organizations) as a research tool. In this post, I would like […]
Gary Stern, education reporter for Lo Hud, is a “not for hire” gun regarding education. He takes a reasoned approach to reporting and makes sure he gets his evidence lined up in a true journalistic fashion..with as little bias as possible. This is his latest comprehensive report on the Common Core. Please follow the links […]
Teaching Students, Missionary Zeal, and the Cult of Personality. via Teaching Students, Missionary Zeal, and the Cult of Personality.
As the controversy around Teach For America grows, it is incredibly important to understand the role of venture philanthropy in education reform. This video provides powerful context in regards to how many nonprofits are used to maintain and exacerbate the injustices and inequalities in our world. Perhaps one of the most ad vanced mechanisms […]
Kahn Academy and College Board have joined forced to “revise” college SAT testing! And they’ve brought their buddies ALEC, Gates, and McKinsey along for the ride. Predatory reform strikes again. Kahn Academy is the darling of education “reformers” and entrepreneurs, spearheading the movement to provide online instruction in lieu of bodied and interactive learning, to […]
Two bills currently under consideration before the legislature in Olympia, Senate Bill 5880 and House Bill 2800, would mandate the inclusion of state test scores in both teacher and principal evaluations. These bills were introduced after US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan told Governor Jay Inslee that he would not consider extending a NCLB waiver currently in place […]
On Sunday, March 2, 2014, I participated in a much-publicized Common Core (CCSS) panel with four other individuals as part of the Network for Public Education (NPE) first annual conference in Austin, Texas. (A 40-minute video of the CCSS panel can be found here; a five-minute video excerpt of my seven-minute opener can be found here.) One […]
Originally posted on the becoming radical:
Maybe we need a Khan Academy video series to help the public in the U.S. understand the term “free.” When you are driving late at night, and you are in unfamiliar rural America in need of a hotel, you see a relatively rundown hotel with a sign announcing “FREE…
David Coleman’s Latest Khan. via David Coleman’s Latest Khan.
Other recent posts
- Register for UOO’s annual spring event in Denver, CO, March 28th to 30th
- STANDARDIZED Brings a Suppressed Crisis to the Screen
- Here It Is: The NPE Common Core Panel Video
- Equipping Florida Parents to Expose Jeb Bush’s Florida Education “Miracle”
- Another brief word on civility in the #edreform debates
- SAT Reboot 2016: “Nonsense It All Is”
- Thomas: Don’t link teacher pay to student test scores
- Communities of color have been decimated by corporate reform. Now anger spreads when it affects white folk like @RBNLake
- The Conversation: Moving ‘quality’ teachers between schools will not help disadvantaged children
- You don’t know the meaning of #dontbackdown
- Even in mourning, obsessions with our classroom abound.
Highlights: @TCF Radio
- Special episode of @thechalkface radio: What’s happening in Newark?
- Digging deeper into the principal controversy in Newark, NJ #p2
- Join us at 6PM EST as we chat for the first time with @angelcintronjr
- @thechalkface and @slekar talking turkey: Studio Versions
- Listen to @KarenLewisCTU. Studio Version @thechalkface!