Hot off our presses…
The latest feel-good email from New Mexico Education Secretary-Designate Hanna Skandera to teachers included this little gem: https://vimeo.com/80764983 Teachers and parents have a couple of problems with this video, and the “rhetoric” within. Let’s explore some of the points Skandera makes, and the realities behind them. 1. New Mexico is ranked 51st in the nation […]
It is very important to privatizing interests to promote the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). After all, there is a lot of money to be made in attendant curriculum development, and assessments, and data collection. Of course, those pushing CCSS cannot state as much directly. So, they offer lies, such as CCSS’s preparing students for future employment […]
Three days ago I was interviewed on our local news channel. I was contacted by a journalist because he wanted some comment on a report that claimed the Common Core would save American 15 year olds by increasing their scores on the PISA exams. According to the report, • Students in the United States have […]
It’s rare to see sympathetic voices on any of the mainstream networks. One usually sees reform hacks and carpetbaggers”. “Some guy” Alexander Russo, who comments hither and thither on education, seems obsessed with an education activist’s recent appearance on MSNBC. And I say “some guy” because, to me at least, Mr. Russo could be classified […]
EngageNY, the propaganda website of the New York State Education Department, has a series of videos promoting “innovative” teaching to the Common Core standards. The video library is an innovative and differentiated resource that brings the Common Core instructional shifts, teacher and leadership evaluation, and data driven instruction to life. I was recently sent the […]
GUEST POST: Let\’s Nurture Inner-Directed Students and Ignore the \”No Excuses\” Crowd, John Thompson. via GUEST POST: Let’s Nurture Inner-Directed Students and Ignore the “No Excuses” Crowd, John Thompson.
Setting Free the Books: On Stepping Aside as Teaching. via Setting Free the Books: On Stepping Aside as Teaching.
Other recent posts
- Despite our best evidence, Camika Royal still considers TFA a viable option. Say again?
- More on Failing Writing, and Students
- A Common MisCOREception?
- Why Are We (Still) Failing Writing Instruction?
- Sandra Stotsky Responds to My Common Core-Achieve Post
- End Zero-Tolerance Policies: A Reader
- iGradeU: The 7 Superpowers Every Teacher Must Master
- More on the Common Core: Achieve, Inc., and Then Some
- We’ll discuss the #teaparty element to the #commoncore debate tonight. For now… #tcot #p2
- Success Academy Tax Documents: Moskowitz Can Afford the Rent
Highlights: @TCF Radio
- @thechalkface and @slekar talking turkey: Studio Versions
- Listen to @KarenLewisCTU. Studio Version @thechalkface!
- Our episode with TX Superintendent John Kuhn
- Election night in Douglas County, CO #dougco @dianeravitch
- Join us At the Chalk Face at 6PM EST while we chat with the NJ teacher subjected to yet another Christie tirade